Austin trails

Austin trails

Saturday, February 27, 2016

back in the game

Sometimes it takes going without something for awhile before you appreciate how much it means to you. Through the slog of winter and my latest injury, I hadn't been able to get up on the trails. My foot is finally feeling a little better and enough snow has melted so I was able to venture out. It was AMAZING! I live in the most awesome place to hit the trails. Literally within 5 feet of my house I am on dirt and within a few more feet there are many trails (dirt roads) to choose from. Less than a mile from my home are hundreds of deer. And in a couple of months because of all the snow we received this year will be myriads of wildflowers. I sometimes forget how blessed I am to have these beauties right outside my door.

The run was great! Gus and stirred up at least 60 deer and I can see the beginnings of flowers just poking some of their starts out of the earth. And just a few patches of mud to make it interesting. I have lost a little fitness, but not as much as I thought I would so I was pleasantly surprised. Now the challenge will be to hold back and not go overboard with trying to do too much. I do have a tendency to push more than I should.
Gus enjoying the trail
The sugar experiment is going well. I have now gone over a week with not going over my sugar recommendation. I haven't noticed any big improvements, but I think it may take a little longer. My blood pressure is slightly lower, I am feeling better, and my foot and shoulders are healing. I did have some challenging times with cravings like Sunday and late at night, but I pushed through and hopefully it will become easier.

3 comments:

  1. All those miles of trails is definitely my favorite thing about Lund. And I can't wait to see some pictures of all those wildflowers. Great job resisting those cravings! The more you exercise your will power the stronger it gets just like any muscle. (which is why my will power is as flabby as my biceps) :) Keep up the great work, Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you call them "trails" now. I never really thought of them like that but that sounds way cooler and more hard core than "dirt roads." I love that picture of Gus. Super epic. I know exactly where that's at, too. It's just above the red dirt, right? I'm so glad your foot is on the mend! Maybe you needed that break from running so you could come back with renewed vigor. Good job on the sugar too. It's really hard to resist those cravings! That makes me think of the Frog and Toad story called "cookies." Do you remember that one? You should read it again. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear you're recovering well and back to the trails! Sugar can eat dirt!! I, too, am looking forward to seeing your beautiful wildflower pictures. Thanks for your inspiration to clean up my diet as well. Keep Going Rockstar!!!

    ReplyDelete